Sunday, March 13, 2011

my grandmother was a grown woman struggling to make ends meet during the years of the great depression. and the efforts she made during those years remained with her for her entire life. i grew up with her and sometimes i recognize her ways in myself. the other day as i was making salad dressing, i'd finished scraping the mustard jar. i put it aside to rinse and put in the recycling.....but i remembered my grandmother and put it back in the fridge. and then last night while i was making salad dressing i made it in the jar, pouring the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and wine and lemon juice in the jar, and shaking it to use all the dregs of mustard clinging to the jar. it was perfect salad dressing and it was lovely to have the spirit of my grandmother in the kitchen with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment