Tuesday, October 11, 2011


our bedroom is it's own little sustainable universe. there is, of course, the bed. and the piles of books beside the bed. the tv. my bathtub. and the spool sofa under the morning window where the east sun pours in. someday there might be a little gas stove in the corner, but until then, our bedroom is perfect the way it is. our days are dissected. the daylight and a few hours of dark are spent on the main ground floor of the house. while the nighttime hours combined with the earliest gray hours of morning are spent suspended with the trees. a blade dividing our time and our home. tom sleeps earlier than me. his breath gurgles just slightly, restful music across the room. and i am propped on pillows on the spool sofa, under a quilt punching words into my laptop, writing my blog, listing quilts on etsy, facebooking, emailing....quietly having little adventures, but in an odd way, still spending time together. i like this. i like knowing we are sharing a room but doing what we both need to be doing.

7 comments:

  1. Hm, I think I am a bit envious. I do think my husband love me, but I have to do my reading in another room when he is going into his dreamlands.What a lovely bedroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. A haven within a home -and clearly filled with so much gratitude and love. Esp loved the words "days are dissected"... we do this do we not? Dissect events (with our blogs, our memories, our philosophising) and as Celia Lashlie says: Ladies think and talk at the same time - in fact their talking helps them to think!
    So it's important to have these spaces where we can think, talk and be...alongside those who are silent.

    Just lovely - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I really do wish I could move in with you. Your home is so idyllic.

    I love how you call your husband's breathing restful music. I won't say what I think of my husband's breathing sounds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. but, the idyll includes baskets of laundry on the floor to put away, that as i was writing in the dark, i didn't even notice or remember were there. and i think i was loving the moment so much because i have been coming to bed much later than tom since i'd stay up and write on the computer. so when he mentioned that i do it up in the bedroom it was such a nice idea that everything felt so perfect. i do love the sound of sleeping breath. it's very restful.

    ReplyDelete