Saturday, January 14, 2012

there was barely a taste of winter until 2 days ago. and then she came in earnest. trees dropping their branches all around our little stone nest. and then yesterday morning we found one of my favorite trees had uprooted and was propped on our porch roof. i must say, i was afraid for our little porch. the pillars supporting it must be 100 years old. or more. and the tree was heavy and solid. but luckily some of it's weight was still being supported at the ground. johnny came this morning with brutus. he climbed onto the icy cedar roof with his chainsaw and got to work cutting the tree into pieces before cutting it off at the stump and giving me the fun job of pulling the trunk off the roof. and the amazing thing is.....there was not a bit of damage. not even a cracked shingle. we were very very lucky. lucky not to have a hole in our porch, but also lucky to have wonderful friends. not only did johnny come straight over to help, but tracy, dave and sam came to join in the winter work as well. piling wood and dragging brush and breathing in the memorable scent of chainsaw oil, sawdust and snow. we had tea and hot chocolate with warm foamy milk. the sky was bright and the air was cold. and the house was warm. edgar was eager to play with brutus. or angry brutus was here. i'm not sure which. and we didn't find out. i kept edgar inside perched on the sofa. the men hauled away the brush. sam played playstation hockey. and tracy and i sat by the fire with our tea, talking.
so our wood is cut and piled. the brush has been taken to the recycling center and we are tired and cozy by the fire as the sky loses it's brightness and becomes night. it was a wonderful day!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your dear porch wasn't damaged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are too. i hope you're having a wonderful and relaxed football watching weekend, jen.

      Delete
  2. i adore the fact that you call this day a wonderful day... thats says a lot about you. the way you look at things. they way you live them.

    thank God for your lovely porch : )

    ...and now i `m going to bed, my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was truly a glorious day. and good night lovely demie. i hope you dream beautiful dreams.

      Delete
  3. When I saw the first photo Annette, I though ‟oh! no" but as I read on I realised how fortunate you had been. You ended up, on what could have been an ordinary winters day, albeit a tree on the roof!, surrounded by the love, care and fellowship of your friends. The cherry on the cake is the fact that you now have lots of wood for next winters fires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad no one was hurt and nothing is broken. It sounds you had a wonderful day caused by all this and felt the love of your friends. Is there more to life? xx Christa

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You were so lucky! I'm glad all turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just got our winter too. I am sorry about your tree. When we lose a tree, it feels like a friend has been lost. It sounds like a lovely day with all the unexpected situation and wonderful friends coming by. I love "the memorable scent of chainsaw oil, sawdust and snow" and "tea and hot chocolate with warm foamy milk. the sky was bright and the air was cold. and the house was warm". Such lovely images, smells and feelings. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winter is just arriving here - snow plow just went by to clear the little bit from the roads. Ice expected in the early am. I remember a few years ago we had an ice storm in October. I lost about 15 fruit trees that night. While I was looking out the living room window at all the damage, my favorite cherry tree uprooted right before my eyes. My heart broke that morning. It was so idyllic and majestic.

    So sorry about your favorite tree. But, very glad your home wasn't hurt in the process. Thank goodness for such wonderful friends to lend a helping hand, or paw. ;) I'm in love with Brutus - my, he's so handsome!!! Wish I could reach through the computer screen and rub his velvety soft ears.

    ReplyDelete