Tuesday, February 11, 2014

i've always prefered to eat with my hands.  i don't really love utensils.  although i don't mind chopsticks.  they seem to be finger extensions more than a fork or a spoon.  it feels like utensils create a disconnect from the food for me.  it puts me at a remove from choosing each piece that i take a bite of. utensils turn into little shovels for me.  but when i pick a piece of food with my fingers and pop it in my mouth, it seems i'm able to savor it more.   i like to sip soup from the bowl.  and pick up carrots individually be they raw or cooked.  i don't use dressing on my salads anymore because i love eating handfuls of baby greens.  last night a huge bowl of baby greens was my meal.  i tossed bits of bagel in olive oil and salt, and then fried them in a little more olive oil.  that was my dinner.  it almost feels like i'm sitting down with a big bowl of popcorn or chips.  but it's so much better that it's a salad.  it's becoming more and more often that i choose meals that allow me to savor them with my fingers.  and i'm eating more and more meals just with my fingers regardless.  now i really see the food i'm eating, feel it, and enjoy it!!  and i don't have to worry about my mother's scolding anymore.  well, not too much, anyway.  

4 comments:

  1. Growing up in South Africa you see that eating with your hands is a way of life for many African people. A staple food is maize meal (think polenta) and usually it's topped with a variety of traditional stews/suaces - you use the stiff porridge to scoop up the sauce and you often eat sitting around on the floor. I loved it. It seemed so natural even though my "caucasian" upbringing differed so greatly.

    I have been away for a while and in dropping by to catch up I read about your friend... sending light and love and healing vibes your way - she is blessed to have a friend in you... ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, that scoop eating looks right up my alley.
      And thank you for the kind words and wishes for Susi. She is very special.

      Delete